The Blue Springs South and Lee’s Summit boys soccer teams were in a scoreless deadlock Wednesday before an official spotted lightning a few miles away.

That official decided to call for a 30-minute lightning delay before the game was ultimately suspended until today because of the severe weather.

The Suburban Big Seven will resume at 3 p.m. today at Larry Stewart Memorial Stadium at Blue Springs South High School.

There was a little more than 23 minutes left in the game when play was suspended, and the Jaguars were able to keep pace with the perennial powerhouse.

“I felt like we were pretty well organized for the first 20 minutes,” South coach Jon Grice said. “We really focused on that at first, then we started attacking. We showed that we can play with good teams. Our backline played really, really well today and (goalkeeper) Keavin (Hart) made some really big saves.”

In the first half, the teams were nearly equal in time of possession, and Lee’s Summit seemed to have the edge in the second. The Tigers (1-0) outshot South 11-5 (5-2 on goal) and the Jaguars were able to hold off the Tigers’ attack thanks to a young back line led by Brett Vaughn and Hart, a first-year starter in goal. He made five saves, none bigger than some in the second half.

Hart collected the ball after a South wall of players deflected it on a direct free kick from Robert Lopez. He also deflected a point-blank shot near the net following a Lee’s Summit corner kick, and he made a spectacular save 15 minutes into the second half on a sliding stop on a ball headed inside the left crossbar on a Joe Vandenbos kick.

“Keavin is an excellent goalkeeper and he’s going to continue to get better,” Grice said. “He’s done a really great job for us so far. He’s always having a good time making diving saves. He can handle those difficult shots.”

South had its fare share of chances to score.

Early in the first half, Vaughn sent a perfect corner kick to the left side of the goal and Chris Smoot got his head on it, but Tiger goalkeeper Austin Hardy was there to haul it in. Later in the half, Taylor Burner sent a cross right in front of the goalmouth. Dylan Fox and Bryce Millican made runs to try and touch it in but both missed as the ball eventually rolled out of play.

“It is really tough to get to a ball when your having to go across your body and it’s going away from you at the same time,” Grice said. “If a defender gets in front of it, it’s hard to put in. It’s not an easy play to make.”